Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Orthopedic Follow Up

I had my ortho follow up on Wednesday. It was very stressful for me. I thought I was going to have a panic attic when they brought that saw out to cut off my cast. Very traumatic experience. Definitely one I don't want to repeat. I did get a boot to wear, but still not weight bearing for 6 more weeks. No walking, of course, but I have to take the boot off 5x a day to work the ankle so that I can regain my range of motion (after this long, plus the swelling, my ankle barely moves) in my ankle.

Thankfully, the pain in my ribs and back has subsided drastically, so moving around doesn't make me cry anymore. But with my foot as it is, exercise is pretty much out. I try to keep my arms strong, but my core is very weak (wasn't too strong to start with) and my right calf is almost non-existent. In order to do physical therapy in 6 weeks, doc says, I have to regain my range of motion in my ankle and be strong enough to actually use the leg. Therefore, each time I remove the boot, I'm doing isometric exercises for my calf and some circulation exercises to decrease the pain and swelling in my whole leg. Plus, I'm using my ace bandage as a "theraband" type thing. I'm wrapping it around the top of my foot (near my toes) and pulling toward me and then working my ankle back and forth, strengthening my ankle and helping to increase the movement in the joint. It feels like I have a mountain to climb and I forgot all my gear at home...BUT, in just two days, my range of motion has increased, so it gives me hope that this really will work. Though I have to admit, I think it will be scary when I actually get to walk on the foot.

I did manage to lose 10 lbs since my accident (very happy about that!), but it's only because the first 2 weeks I was barely able to eat. But regardless, its lbs lost, so I'm happy. I have PLENTY more to lose. Though thankfully, my appetite has returned. It's just difficult because I can't cook for myself right now, so I tend to chose things that are simple, so that I can make them, and so that those who are helping me, don't have a million things to prepare. Unfortunately, this usually involves frozen dinners and other bad things. But for now, that's all I can do.

Ok, so it's off to bed for me. But if anyone has any suggestions for things I can do to strengthen my core (from a sitting position in a wheelchair, or a hospital bed) and to strengthen my calf (without the use of my ankle, like when doing calf raises), please let me know.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment