Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Chinese Tex-Mex

No, I'm not referring to those Tex-Mex restaurants run by Chinese immigrants - I'm talking about mixing two yummy things to make a third yummy thing! I'm not crazy....er well maybe just a little bit!

Chinese Fried Rice     
Burritos



So how did I do it, and why?? Well I was hungry! I've always cooked with a flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants mentality. Unless I'm baking, I don't really bother with recipes, unless I just happened to find something that I want to try. And even then, I rarely make the recipe exactly as it says. I'm always changing something around.

Today I felt like experimenting because the thought of eating a boring sandwich again about killed me. I had just finished reading some blog where the author was talking about cooking some fried-rice and I decided I wanted some too! But, wait.... do I have the goods?

Rice, oh yeah. Living with a Puerto Rican, rice is always in grand supply. Eggs, yep. Hmm... I have veggies, but the ones I'd use are fresh, and dang I don't want to wait for them to cook. Fine, nix the veggies. Wait! Soy sauce! I don't generally have any on hand, but I just happened to have two packets left over from the last time we ordered Chinese. Score!

So I started cooking, knowing full well I only had the rice, eggs, and soy sauce to work with. That's kinda boring! So I tossed in some lunchmeat. Then it hit me. Make it a burrito! (Tortillas are another thing we always have on hand.)

And once the tortilla was introduced it was a lovely little spiral into a new kind of burrito! Check out what I did below!

Chinese Tex-Mex Burritos
(makes 2 burritos) 


Ingredients:
1 cup of rice

2 eggs
2 tortillas
2 slices of lunch meat, shredded (I chose ham)
1tsp olive oil (or enough to coat the bottom of the pan)
Amounts of the following ingredients are as desired

Soy Sauce
Sour Cream
Salsa Verde
Shredded Cheese

1. Cook rice using equal parts rice and water. I use a rice cooker because that's the only way for me to get rice the way I prefer it.
2. Warm up the frying pan (or wok) and the oil.
3. Toss in the cooked rice, the soy sauce and the ham. Stir until mixed and ham is warm.
4. Break eggs in a bowl and whisk. Pour into pan while stirring. Cook until egg is cooked through.
THEN:
Spoon fried rice onto a tortilla and top with all the usual taco/burrito toppings. And just fyi, the salsa verde MAKES the burrito, in my opinion. You can also top this burrito with some Rotel (I ran out, otherwise I would have included it).

Anyway, that's my crazy burrito. Whatcha think?


No comments:

Post a Comment