Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

This Excites Me

The following was written for a journal prompt, which was "This excites me".

***

Flickr


There is a moment on the first cool day of fall that I experience every year. It is a moment of promise, of excitement, of wonder.


On this day, when the breeze tickles against my skin, goosebumps rising in response, exhilaration floods my veins and I feel myself awaken as if I've been in hibernation. My senses are alert to every sound, every sensation.


Images of what the coming season could hold fill me, as if by gift from some unseen mystic. One by one they flash, a train of delight, bound for some magical wonderland station. And it is these images I shall describe to you.


***

Flickr

It is cold, the ground white, fresh powder all around. My breath leaves me in a cloud of fog, my cheeks rosy and vibrant. Yet I hardly notice as I snuggle up next to my love, a blanket wrapped around us. A  loving squeeze, a look, and I sigh as we both lose ourselves in the fire before us. The flames flicker and dance over the logs, mesmerizing us, drawing us into a soothing calm, almost meditating. Then turning toward me, a gentle kiss, eyes brimming with love, and my passion erupts forth with first a smile, then fits of laughter, and we know that in each other we have found our soul.


***


Flickr

Laughter fills the room as if it is a tangible substance, absorbing itself into everything and everyone. It’s contagion welcome among us. Christmas carols tinkle from the stereo, lending an electricity to the air.


The aroma in the room, is a hodgepodge of scents, a medley of joy dancing around my nose. Somewhere, popcorn is popping, needle and string on the table, soon to become a salty garland for the tree. Cinnamon oozes from the oven, hinting at the delectable dessert cooking within.

Flickr


The tree glitters in it’s place of honor in the living room. Sparkling and twinkling lights blink boldly from within it’s branches. Ornaments, lovingly made and hung ever so gently, decorate the surface. Generations of memories spread from top to bottom - one for each guest - Grandma and Papa, cousins and aunts and uncles. Looking around, there is a face for each ornament, a hug for each face, and love for each person. Surrounded by love, by family.


***

Flickr


Three piles - One of wrapping paper, one of bows and name tags, and another towering with presents, each hand-picked specifically for it’s new owner. I’ve always enjoyed wrapping presents, imagining the look on the persons face when they open the gift, knowing it was chosen only for them. Rolling out the paper, lining up the item, and wrapping ever so carefully, attention to detail never so important as in that moment. Getting the angle just right, then rubbing the crease, folding,and taping. Add a bow and a name. Repeat. Paper, align, fold, tape, bow, name. Repeat. It’s like the perfect mantra, the one that always soothes you, always works out the mental kinks.

What’s inside? You’ll have to open it to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment